In this article on lipsticks colors and shades, we are going to dwell much on how to choose lipstick color for different body features such as hair and skin. Some of the features we are going to mention include brunettes, dark skin, fair skin, blondes, black women, medium skin, tan skin, olive and brown skin tones.
How to choose lipstick color
When choosing lipsticks that will flatter your looks, ensure you test the color before buying it. Ensure it will compliment your skin tone, hair color well as well as match well with the costume or attires you will be wearing. You should also decide on the looks you want to get such as drama, bold, subtle and the occasion you will be wearing the lipstick.
Lipstick colors for Brunettes and Top Brands
Which lipstick colors will best flatter brunettes? This is a difficult question since being brunette only shows your hair color. You need to consider your hair color but never forget your skin color too. Furthermore, consider what is dominant between your hair color and skin tone. While looking at the best lipstick colors for brunettes, we will consider the various skin color and hair shade.
Brunettes with olive skin – go for mauve, dusky rose or even plums, as they will flatter your olive skin color. Stay away from too bright lipstick colors if your olive skin complexion is tends towards dark.
Brunettes with light brown hair – Brunettes with light brown hair should go for peaches and apricot. Ensure you go for glossy finishes or use lip glosses if you went for matte finishes. However, if you are fair skinned and you freckle often, go for rust, cinnamon or pink lipsticks. Avoid too orange hues.
Brunettes with dark brown hair – if you have dark brown hair, some of the best lipsticks that will flatter your looks include red, pink and coral. You can go for either matte finishes or glossy finish depending on if you want to make your lips to appear bigger or not.
Lipstick Colors for Blondes
Blonde girls need to know how correctly to wear lipstick for the most flattering looks. Of course, just as in the case of brunettes, their skin tone will affect their lipstick choice. Generally, the best lipstick colors for blondes should be about two shades or one shade lighter than their natural lip colors.
Best Lipstick for Fair Skinned Blonds – They should wear apricot, pink or corals.
Best Lipstick for Olive Skinned Blondes – If you are an olive skinned blonde, you should go for rust, dark peach and light brown lipstick colors and shades.
Blondes with Lightest Hair – The best lipstick colors for blondes with the lightest hair color include cranberry, mauve and pomegranate lipstick colors.
Rich Golden Haired Blondes – Blondes who have rich gold hair should go for corals, peaches or apricot. However, they should avoid strong colors and wear highly glossy lipsticks.
If they want to wear red lipsticks, they do look good on blondes but they must be worn carefully not to overwhelm their looks. Wearing true reds with brown or blue undertones is a good idea. Some good reds to try include NARS – Heat Wave and Revlon Colorburst – True Red
Other brands that will flatter blondes include purples such as the Giorgio Armani Rouge D’Armani – Black Lacquer 602 and Lancôme Rouge in love – Violette Coquette, fruit color such as Shiseido lipstick – Sizzle and MAC – Vegas Volt as well as nude colors such as Lancôme Rouge in Love – Lasting kiss 200B and Illamasqua – Soft Pink Chocolate,
Lipstick for Black Women – Lipstick Colors for African Americans
If you are a black woman or an African American woman, you need to know which lipsticks will flatter or compliment your skin tone. Some of these best lipsticks for black women are the same as the ones for dark skinned people since most of the black women are dark skinned.
While looking at the best lipsticks for black women, we will not mention specific brands but give you categories of lipstick colors and shades they can wear. You can use this shades and colors in determining what will best flatter you looks.
Dark Lipsticks – Some of the best dark lipstick colors and shades for black women include deep red, magenta, chocolate brown, bronze and fuchsia.
Medium Color Lipsticks – If you happen to have a medium skin tone, some of the best lipstick colors you should consider going for include red, bronze, magenta, medium brown, deep brown, and medium deep pink.
Light Lipsticks – If you want something a little light, consider going for taupe, red, peach, pale to deeper pink lipsticks. These will flatter black women with a light skin tone.
To get more lipstick colors that will be idea for black women, see some of the below brands that dark skinned women can wear if you have a dark skin. Otherwise, you could go for the ones of medium skin, olive or tan if this is your skin tone.
Lipstick Color for Dark Skin Tone – Best Lipstick Colors, Shades and Top Brands
If you have a dark skin tone, you are expected to stay away from peaches and corals. Instead, go for reds, browns, chocolate, soft sheer pinks, beige shade, deep plumps, dark red, deep berries, grapes and pink lipsticks.
If you have purple or blue undertones, you should go for glossy lipstick that is much lighter than your skin complexion but it should have a violet touch. On the other hand, if you have warmer skin toner, go for maroon or brown lipsticks. Pair up this warm lipsticks with rose orange blush.
- Clinique Almost in Black Honey
- MAC’s Ruby Woo
- Revlon ColorStay Ultimate Suede Lipstick in Socialite
- MAC Viva Glam Cyndi Lauper
- L’Oréal Colour Riche Lipcolour in Sunset Red
- Bobbi Brown Lip Color in Burnt Red
- NARS Sheer Lipstick in Gipsy
The best lipsticks for dark skin tone are endless. You have already gotten insight from best lipstick colors for dark skin discussed above and it should help you choose a perfect lipstick for your dark skin.
Lipsticks for Medium Skin tones – Best Lipstick Colors, Shades and Top Brands
If you have a medium skin tone, you can wear most of the lipstick colors. However, wearing corals, light pink, roses, berries, mauves, or peach lipstick colors, will be ideal during the day and at night, you should go for medium red, brown or pink.
- Revlon ColorStay Ultimate Suede Lipstick in Finale
- Dior Rouge Dior Lipcolor in Rare Amber
- Mirabella Lip Colour in Amaretto
- L’Oréal Paris Infallible Never Fail Lipstick in Amber
- Mary Kay Crème Lipstick in Amber Glow
- Nars in Tanganyka
Lipstick Colors for Tan Skin Tones – Best Lipstick Colors, Shades and Top Brands
If you have tan skin, you need to know some of the best lipstick colors and shades to go for. Most of the people from Latin America tend to have tan skin tone.
For such people some of the best lipstick color or best lipstick shades to go for include shades based on purple like berry. Furthermore, most of the brown lipstick shades will look awesome, ranging from light brown to dark brown.Just to give you a few of the best lipsticks for tan color, consider going for the following brands:
- Dolce & Gabbana Classic Cream Lipstick in Fire
- Nars blush in Super Orgasm
- Rimmel London Natural Bronzer
- Maybelline Color Sensational Vivids in Electric Orange
If you have a tan skin, you could also wear any of the good nude lipsticks we are going to discuss later in this discussion.
Best Lipstick Color for Fair Skin – Best Lipstick Colors, Shades and Top Brands
If you have a fair skin tone, you should always go for lighter lipstick shades especially light pink, apricot, peach, coral pink, light browns, beige, pinks with brown undertones, deep pinks, berries, orange, red with purple undertones, and light coral. Some of the general good lipstick colors and shades for fair skin include:
The list of lipsticks for fair skin is endless as they can wear almost any lipstick including red just as Gwen Stefani does. They can wear red, which has mild cherry undertones or red lipsticks that have cherry undertones. Generally, matte red lipsticks tend to look better than glossy. Fire engine red lipstick might not work well.
Finally, on best lipsticks colors for fair skin ensure you do not go for too pale or dark since they can make you look washed-out.
Lipstick Color for Olive Skin – Best Lipstick Colors, Shades and Top Brands
If you have olive skin, it means you have a skin color that ranges from medium brown to a color, a little bit dark when compared to wheatish. Since this skin is neither too dark nor fair, people with this skin tone can wear a number of lipstick colors without any problem. Some of the great lipstick colors they should go for include:
Red Lipsticks – Go for red lipsticks with warm undertones. Vampy and deep red will still look great since they both have a blue base.
- Elizabeth Arden Color Intrigue Effects Lipstick in Poppy Cream
- Kat Von D Painted Love in Underage Red
- Lancôme Color Design Sensational Effects Lipcolor in Retro Rouge
- Nars Lipstick in Shanghai Express
- Shu Uemura Rouge Unlimited Crème Matte Lipstick in RD 165M
Berry Lipsticks – Go for berry lipstick that will include wine, berry, raisin and plum. If you have warm skin tones, magenta and copper will also be very flattering. Some of the good black berry lipsticks to wear include:
- Chanel Rouge Allure Luminous Satin Lip Colour in Émotive
- Clinique Butter Shine Lipstick in Cranberry Cream
- Clinique Butter Shine Lipstick in Raspberry Rush
- L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Lipcolour in Mica
- Revlon’s Colorburst lipstick in Plum
Nude Lipsticks – If your olive skin tone is slightly darker, go for nude shades and taupe. Furthermore, wearing matte lipstick shades of chestnut, almond and nutmeg will be quite flattering. See more on nude lipsticks below.
Pink Lipsticks – Go for pink lipsticks that have warm or yellow undertones and avoid any pink lipstick that have blue undertones. Rose pink, orange pink, and dusty pink will look hilarious on girls who have olive skin color. Try pink lipsticks such as:
- Dior DiorAddict Lipcolor in Hollywood Rose
- Dolce & Gabbana The Lipstick in Venere
- Maybelline New York Color Sensational Lipcolor in Born With It
- Revlon ColorBurst Lipstick in Fuchsia
- Elizabeth Arden Color Intrigue Effects Lipstick
Lipstick Colors for Brown Skin – Best Lipstick Colors, Shades and Top Brands
People who have brown skin will look great in most types of lipsticks. However, lipsticks with warm orange and yellow tones will be most flattering. On lipsticks to avoid (colors and shades), people who have brown skin should not wear are those that are too pink or blue as they might make your brown skin tone to look a bit washed-out.
One of the flattering lipsticks for brown skin you should never fail to try is the red lipstick color especially the rich red, deep red, dark berry, and reddish dark brown. If you particularly went for sheer instead of matte red lipstick, you will look amazing.
Best Neutral Lipstick Colors and Top Brands
Neutral lipstick colors are some of the common lipstick colors that most people wear during the day. These include colors such as taupe, black, ivory, gray, white, beige, etc. which normally appear as if they do not have color.
When you wear neutral lipsticks, they do not make things to pop up. Instead, they give subtle looks. If they are chosen well to suit your hair color and skin tone, they are ideal for giving subtle and natural looks, ideal for daytime.
Of course, this is without forgetting black lipsticks, begin netural, need to be worn with care see more on black lipsticks, best brands, how to wear it and much more.
If you are looking for the best neutral lipsticks, you can go for many leading and best neutral lipsticks. Some of these best brands include the following:
These are not the only best neutral lipsticks you can wear. There are many others to go for depending if you have a fair, tan, dark, olive or medium skin tone.
How to Get Discontinued Lipstick Colors
Due to a number of reasons, it is normal to get a few discontinued lipsticks from different companies including Revlon, NARS, Maybelline, Avon, elf, NYX, MAC, L’Oreal, Rimmel, etc. If your favorite lipstick color has been discontinued, you need to know how to get such a lipstick. We are going briefly to discuss on how to get discontinued lipstick colors.
The first step for getting a discontinued lipstick is going to eBay and seeing if anyone is selling it. Check prices and compare with other vendors to get the vendor who has the best offer. You will definitely check to see if the seller is also a verified seller.
Use search engine and search for the specific discontinued lipstick to see if anyone has it on offer. Since it has been discontinued, you need to be careful not to buy it at unnecessarily high price, as some vendors might want to take advantage of its high demand.
Check on various websites that auction discontinued lipsticks or products and see if you can see your favorite discontinued lipstick on auction.
Finally, take chance of the last chances offered by the various lipstick manufacturers and buy several pieces of the lipsticks that will be discontinued.
The Most Popular Lipstick Colors
- Best Red Lipstick – Cheap, Dark, Apple, Bright, Deep, Blood, Cherry, Brick and Jungle Shades
- How to Wear Red Lipstick – Tips to Put on, Apply, Make, Wearing Red Lipsticks
- Best Dark Lipstick – How to Wear, Glow in the Dark, Trend, Tips, Dark Lipstick Looks
- How to Wear Black Lipsticks- Best Brands, Cheap, Radiance, Opal, Cherry, Honey, Almost Black
- Best Orange Lipstick –Neon, Bright, Burnt, Orange Red & How to Wear Orange Lipsticks
- Best Red Lipstick – For Fair Skin, Black Olive, Dark, Pale, Redheads, Blondes, Brown, Brunettes
- Pink Lipstick – Best Hot, Bright, Light, Berbie, Baby, Pale, Neon and How to Wear Pink Lipsticks
More Lipstick Colors
- Brown Lipstick – Best Dark, Chocolate, Trends and How to Wear Brown Lipsticks
- Green Lipstick Including Mint, Dark, Lime, How to Wear, Green that Turns Pink or Reds
- Best Plum Lipstick Brands – Dark, Deep, Light Shades, Matte, How to Wear
- Best Peach Lipstick – Matte, Light, Dark, Nude, Coral & Peachy Colored Lipsticks
- Blue Lipstick – Best Dark, Navy, Blue Red, Light, Where to Buy or Blue Lipsticks
- Best Gold Lipstick – Golden Red, Rose, Pink and How to Wear, Apply, Use
- Best Purple Lipstick – Dark, Deep, Bright, Light, Red, Pink, How to Wear Purple Lipsticks
- Best Coral Lipstick –Bright, Perfect Coral Orange, How to Wear Coral
- Best White Lipstick Brands – Snow, How to Wear and Where to Buy White Lipsticks
More Topics in Lipsticks
- Best Long Lasting Lipstick – Red, Pure Color, Natural Most Long Lasting Lipsticks
- How to Wear Best Matte lipstick –Red, Pink, Black and Cheap Matte Lipsticks
- Lipstick Case With Mirror, Vintage, double, Antique, Leather, Coach, Wholesale Lipstick Cases
- Lead in Lipstick – Lead Free Lipstick Brands and List of Lipsticks with Lead
- Best Lipstick Brands – Natural, Coral, Long Lasting, Plum, Nude, for Moisturizing Dry Lips, etc
- Best Nude Lipstick – Top Brands, Pink, Beige, Peach, Matte Shades Nude Lipsticks
- How to Make Lipstick – Recipe, Ingredients, Homemade, With Crayons, Vaseline,
- How to Remove Lipstick Stain from Clothes, Carpet, White Shirt and Other Fabrics
- Natural Lipstick – Best All Natural Brands and How to Make Natural Looking Lipsticks