When wasps infest areas you regularly use, it becomes uncomfortable. To help ease this, we delve into various options on how to get rid of wasps and their nests naturally around the house, outside, in the garden and how to achieve all this safely.
How to Get Rid Of Wasps
How do you get rid of wasps? Wasps can be dangerous. Their stings are painful and uncomfortable. The signs of wasp infestation depend on what species they fall under which could be hornets, paper wasps, and yellow jackets. The most obvious signs of infestation are the presence of worker wasps and nests. Although they are at times beneficial to humans, the presence of wasps in unwanted areas can make a place inhabitable. To help you eliminate them, we discuss various methods on how to get rid of wasps, how to apply them as well as their pros and cons advantages they come with.
There are aerosol pesticide sprays designed for the elimination of wasps. These are readily available in gardening stores. They are easy to use and tend to work pretty first. They come with a number of disadvantages though; they are full of chemicals and thus contribute to air pollution. If too much of it is used, any other insects or pets that consume them are at risk of dying from poisoning. To reduce these chances, sprayed insects and nests should be disposed of properly.
Wasps with nests in the ground such as the yellow jackets may not be eliminated effectively using sprays. In such circumstances, the best remedy would be insecticidal dust which can penetrate through to the nest. In case it doesn’t, wasps that get into contact with it spread it to the other wasps in the nest.
- Purchase a high quality insecticidal dust and apply it liberally at the opening of the ground nest. Ensure this is done while clothed in appropriate protective clothing.
- The application should be done early in the morning or in the night. Leave the cover of the nest open to allow for the proper entrance and exit.
As the wasps move around, their wings and body get coated with the dust and thus they carry the poison to the other wasps. This way the whole colony ends up being contaminated giving room for eventual elimination. Repeat procedure until all wasps are gone.
These not only work in getting rid of wasps at present but also act as a preventive measure. Residual insecticides are concentrated and come with different manufacturer instructions. Once sprayed or dusted on areas with wasp infestation, they get rid of existing ones as well as prevent future nesting in the treated area. While some leave a visible residue, others are invisible but their effects are long lasting.
Spray Adhesive to get Rid of Wasps Safely
Another effective way on how to get rid of wasps is by using adhesive spray. This works on them because unlike bees, they do not feed on their dead mates. Once the nest is sprayed, the wasps may try to get out. However, they will get stuck on the nest. With time they will start sticking on each other and thus clog the exit. Spray plenty of it for this method to work.
Dish Soap Spray
The use of dish soap to get rid of insects and parasites is easy yet effective. Soapy water coats the exterior parts of the wasp’s body and prevents them from flying. As a result, they end up drowning in the liquid within a short time.
- Prepare the solution by mixing quarter a cup of liquid soap with one liter of hot water.
- If your target is in an aerial nest, use a hose end spray bottle to get the solution onto the nest while aiming a steady stream of it at the entrance of the nest. Keep going for 15 seconds.
- Where your target is a ground nest, pour the solution directly through its entrance.
- Repeat procedure until all wasps are dead.
How to Get Rid Of Wasps Naturally and Safely Using Home Remedies
In addition to the above commercial products, there are a number of safe and natural home remedies that can be used in getting rid of wasps. Some of the effective methods on how to get rid of wasps naturally include:
Water for Natural Wasp Control
With a free hanging aerial nest, an effective method on how to get rid of wasps would be to drown them with water. This requires you to have some water and a cloth bag. Try using the water using any of the methods discussed below.
- Get some water in a bucket and set it up beneath the wasp nest for use as the procedure proceeds.
- Using a large cloth bag that is free from tears and holes, place it over the nest and secure it tightly with a string. This should pull the nest off from where it is attached.
- With the bag now containing the wasps nest, dip it in the bucket of water and use a stone or any other hard substance to sink it.
- Leave the bag in the water for some hours and the wasps will have drowned.
- While using this method be careful and avoid being clumsy as this could cause wasp stings.
Another effective way on how to get rid of wasps naturally is by using hot water as follows:
- Place a bucket full of boiling water underneath the nest.
- Using a long stick, knock off the nest into the bucket of water and once in ensure it gets submerged.
- This should help kill both adult and larvae wasps. It should however be done with caution and while wearing the right protective gear.
Wasp Traps Home Remedy
To reduce wasp population, you can make use of traps. These work with the help of a bait which is used to attract the wasps to a place where they cannot get out of. Savory baits such as tuna are effective in attracting yellow jackets. You can purchase a ready made wasp trap or make one at home. Traps are quite suitable in getting rid of wasps in house and around swimming pools.
How to Get Rid Of Wasps Naturally with Smoke
This is yet another natural and chemical free remedy for wasps. This works great for wasps with aerial nests.
- Light up a fire in your grill or build a small fire directly below the place of nesting.
- Allow the smoke to keep rising for one to two hours. This should be enough to fill and suffocate the present wasps.
- This method should only be used to get rid of wasps in the yard, garden or other open places and not too close to the house as things might end up getting burned.
How to Get Rid of Wasps Nests
While the methods discussed above on how to get rid of wasps are effective, you can never be certain that all the wasps are gone unless their nests are cleared too. This ensures that the whole colony is gone and eliminates the possibility of their larvae developing into adults.
- One of the options on how to get rid of wasps’ nests includes manual destruction. Once you have all wasps driven out, detach the nest and burn it.
- For underground wasp nests, you could seal off their entrance by smearing wet soil on it. This way the nest will be inaccessible.
- During the winter, ensure you knock down all vacant nests to prevent the wasps from coming back in the summer.
How to Get Rid of Wasps around the House
Having wasps around a pool or in the yard is something that you can live with since these areas can be avoided. However, wasps around the house can be a pain. Use the methods discussed on how to get rid of wasps around the house to avoid their nasty stings.
Hang Fake Nests around the House
Wasps tend to be highly territorial. And will not venture anywhere close to another colony. To ensure that there are no nests build around your house, hang a fake wasp nest in strategic points. These can be purchased in garden stores and will help deter the insects for building others.
Hanging a Sandwich Bag with Water
This method is quite effective on how to get rid of wasps around the house. All you need to do is fill a sandwich bag with water and drop a penny in it. This method is said to work because wasps and other insects such as bees and flies mistake the reflection for a spider web and will not dare to venture anywhere close to it.
Another school of thought is that the reflection is too bright for their eyes making them keep off. Design your sandwich bag and hang it at strategic points around the house to easily drive away wasps without having to kill them.
Avoid Drawing them in
In some cases, wasps will be drawn into our homes and around the house by the presence of favorable food. Wasps love meat products as well as sugary stuff. To prevent them getting attracted and drive them away, dispose of left overs properly and keep the bins well sealed.
In case your home has humming bird feeders, keep them away from the house a failure to do so will see the birds and wasps competing for the content and as a result end up in and around the house.
How to get Rid of Wasps Outside and in the Garden
In case you are wondering how to get rid of wasps outside and in the garden, the best way is to use plants that deter wasps. Some of the natural plant deterrents include eucalyptus, citronella, wormwood and mint. Use these as part of your landscape and you are bound to get rid of wasps for good.
Tips and Warnings on Getting Rid of Wasps
The methods discussed above are effective. However, they may not work for large infestations which may require you to call in professional exterminators. If you feel like the wasps are too many for you to handle, do not hesitate to hire the relevant services. In addition, bear the following tips and warnings in mind when killing wasps and eliminating their nests.
- Always wear protective gear while conducting the above procedures. This will help prevent you from being stung.
- In case you are allergic to wasp venom, do not attempt the home remedies. Instead call in professionals to do it for.
- It is possible for wasps to inject pheromones on you. In case you are stung by one, wash the area thoroughly as soon as you can to avoid being targeted by other wasps.
- Where the wasps are situated high up in a place you can’t reach, do not opt for a ladder. Doing this could see you fall and suffer injury in case the wasps attack you.
- Wasp nests are best destroyed in the night or early in the morning when the inhabitants are inactive.
- To settle for the best method on how to get rid of wasps, establish what type of wasps you are dealing with as different methods work best on different types. Paper wasps are docile and harmless while