If not treated, kidney stones could become painful. However, if intervention is done on time, it will be possible to pass and dissolve them without surgery. Below we discuss simple natural remedies for kidney stones that you can use at home to get rid of the stones naturally.
Natural Remedies for Kidney Stones
The kidneys are an important organ in the body. They help in filtering impurities from the blood. Before we explore the natural remedies for kidney stones, let us look at how they occur. This condition affects an average of 10 percent of the population and is most common in men aged 30 to 40 years. Kidney stones occur when the process of toxin elimination is inefficient. As a result, a crystallization of unprocessed minerals which could include oxalic acid, calcium, phosphorous and uric acid occurs. In addition, dehydration, improper diet, excessive consumption of vitamin D and gout could result in kidney stones.
The stones may result in pain as well as a blockage in the flow of urine in severe cases and where the stones grow to be large. To help ease the kidney stones pain and facilitate their passing out, here are some natural remedies for kidney stones that are effective.
Nettle Leaf Tea Remedy for Kidney stones without Surgery
Nettle leaf is a strong diuretic and also contains antibacterial properties. Drinking plenty of it each day will help to flush out toxins and minerals from the kidney. This will help in halting the growth of already existent stones while discouraging formation of new ones. It will also help to prevent urinary tract infections which are a known cause of kidney stones.
- To a cup full of hot water, add two teaspoons of dried nettle leaf.
- Allow it steep for at least ten minutes before straining it.
- Drink two to three cups of this every day.
Apple Cider Vinegar to Dissolve Kidney Stones
This is among the most used natural remedies for kidney stones. Apple cider vinegar helps in breaking down existent kidney stones while at the same time preventing re-occurrence. It also plays an alkalizing role in both urine and blood.
- Mix a teaspoon of honey with two table spoons of apple cider vinegar and add these into a cup of warm water. You could also replace honey with stevia.
- Drink this kind of mix a number of times throughout the day.
Lemon Juice and Olive Oil Home Remedies for Kidney Stones
Traditionally, olive oil has been used to expel gallbladder stones. With time it has been proven effective in expelling kidney stones as well. When used with lemons, the citric acid in them helps in breaking down any calcium based stones as well as stop anymore growth.
- For every part of olive oil, add an equal amount of fresh lemon juice.
- Drink half a cup of this mixture followed up by plenty of water.
- Repeat up to three times in a day.
In case you happen to pass the stones after a single dose, do not continue using the remedy. In case your kidney stones are too large, consult your doctor before indulging in this home remedy.
Basil to Help Pass Kidney Stones
This is regarded as a tonic for the kidneys. It will help induce kidney stones expulsion from the urinary tract.
- Get some basil and extract its juice.
- Mix one teaspoon of the juice with an equal amount of honey.
- Take this each day in the morning.
- You could also chew raw basil leaves to benefit from its properties.
Kidney Beans for Kidney Stones Removal
The pods of kidney beans were used as a home remedy for kidney stones. These were seen as a medicinal tonic. They are high in B vitamins, proteins and minerals which are important for the overall health of the kidneys
- Get the kidney beans out of their pods, clean them and put them in hot water.
- Allow to simmer for hours on low flame until they are soft and tender.
- Strain the resulting liquid and allow it time to cool.
- Once cool, strain it once more and drink this throughout the day to ease kidney stone pain.
This liquid is not to be kept for more than 24 hours as after this it loses its therapeutic properties. To boost your kidney’s health, consume the beans too.
Celery Home Remedy for Kidney Stones
Celery has anti-spasmodic properties and will help relief kidney stones pain as well as clear up toxins that cause their formation. It acts as a diuretic which in turn helps to flush out toxins and the stones due to the increased volume of urine passed.
- Drink celery herbal tea to get rid of kidney stones resulting from accumulation of uric acid.
- Use celery seeds as a spice to help treat kidney stones.
- Drink a glass of celery juice each day to further treat and prevent formation of kidney stones.
Wheat Grass to get Rid of Kidney Stones
Wheat grass is among the less known natural remedies for kidney stones. This remedy is highly effective in treating kidney stones. It is a great source of potassium, B vitamins, iron, magnesium, chlorophyll and amino acids.
- Add a teaspoon of lemon juice into a glass of wheat grass juice.
- Take this three times each day.
Pomegranate Home Remedy for Kidney Stones
The juice and seeds of pomegranate are known to contain astringent properties. These can help aid in the natural treatment of kidney stones. By using the following pomegranate natural home remedies for kidney stones, you will help in dissolving them without surgery.
- Consume a whole pomegranate or a glass of freshly squeezed juice daily.
- Add pomegranate to your fruit salad to increase its intake.
- You could also grind a tablespoon of pomegranate seeds into a paste. Consume this along a cup of horse gram soup each day.
Watermelon to Dissolve Kidney Stones
Water melons are rich in calcium, carbonates and magnesium phosphates. They also have potassium which is important for the well-being of the kidneys. Their consumption will help regulate and maintain the optimum acid level in urine.
Its high concentration of water plays a role in ensuring that kidney stones are flushed out of the system. Consume the water melon fruit regularly for natural treatment of kidney stones. You can also consume watermelon seed tea.
Increase Water Consumption to Pass Kidney Stones
While adequate hydration is important for everyone, it is more important for someone with kidney stones. If you have them or think you could be susceptible to them, it is important to stay well hydrated by taking in your daily body requirement. This will help keep water running through your system which will effectively keep flushing out toxins that cause the formation of the stones.
You can track down your daily intake or observe the appearance of your urine. The darker it is, the more the water you will need. If your urine comes out clear, it is an indication that you are drinking enough.
Horse tail tea for Natural Kidney Stones Elimination
Horse tail tea is a natural diuretic. It can offer soothing effects to kidney stones pain. Take three to four cups of the tea daily. When using it, ensure you combine its intake with an increased water intake to reap maximum benefits.
Dietary Fiber Home Remedies for Kidney stones
Dietary fibers are a source of effective natural remedies for kidney stones. They will help to stop the growth of existing stones as well as prevent formation of more.
When you consume insoluble fiber, it binds to calcium in the intestines and thus reduces its presence in the urinary tract. This way, less of it is crystallized in the kidneys. Increase your fiber intake by consuming green vegetables, legumes, whole grains and fruits.
Remedies for Kidney Stones Pain
While the above natural remedies for kidney stones work with time, the pain may take a while to go away. Where this is the case, you can use them together with pain medication. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are recommended. Some of the common ones are naproxen, ibuprofen or aspirin.
Where the size of kidney stones is large and the pain too much, talk to your doctor for prescription strength pain medication.
When to See a Doctor
About 15 percent of patients with kidney stones need more than natural remedies for kidney stones to pass them. As such, seek medical intervention in situations such as those discussed below.
- In case you have had a kidney transplant, have one kidney or your immune system is compromised.
- Where you are pregnant, the treatment for kidney transplant will depend on the trimester you are in. see your doctor for treatment.
- In case you experience a reduction in urine flow, increased urination at night and side pain, this could be indicative of urinary tract obstruction. See your doctor immediately.
Tips to Supplement Natural Remedies for Kidney Stones
To help prevent formation of more kidney stones as well as facilitate the passing of existing one:
- Avoid sodas, sugar and other sweet things. Sugar interferes with the body’s ability to absorb magnesium and calcium thus causing formation of stones.
- Keep the consumption of animal proteins to a minimal. These tend to increase the risk of kidney stones as they contain purine which is a substance that increases uric acid.
- Avoid crash dieting as this increases the level of uric acid present in the bloodstream thus elevating the risk of kidney stone.
- Consume a healthy balanced diet to keep you healthy and avoid kidney stones.
- Stay away from dark beers as these contain oxalates which could in the future contribute to the formation of kidney stones.
The natural remedies for kidney stones discussed above should not replace medical care. Where you are experiencing pain or infections from the kidney stones, see a doctor immediately.