Honey fits into a lot of health and beauty descriptions. It is a natural energy booster that has been used for medicinal purposes over a long time. It is rich in natural sugars, antioxidants and minerals. It also is rich in flavonoids and is a great emollient that possesses anti-fungal and antibacterial properties. These make it amazing for use on the skin, hair and for beauty and health benefits. Below we explore various beauty uses of honey and the benefits derived from using it.
Honey for Acne
The antibacterial properties of honey make it a perfect home remedy for acne. How then can you use honey for acne and acne scars at home? There are a number of options. You can use raw honey on your face regularly to get rid of acne. Manuka honey for acne is known to have more benefits than raw honey so you can use it for better results. You could also add a number of other ingredients to make a facial mask. Here is one you can try:
Honey and Cinnamon Acne Mask
When mixed with cinnamon, this mask helps to unclog the pores. Cinnamon also has mild abrasive properties that help to clear up any acne scars on the skin.
- For every teaspoon of cinnamon, add two tablespoons of honey.
- Mix the two until a consistent paste is formed.
- Apply the mask on the face and allow it to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse off using warm water and apply a toner.
- Repeat procedure regularly to achieve the best results.
Honey for Scars and Blemishes
Although in most cases scars may never disappear, it is possible to fade them and thus diminish their appearance using honey. When mixed with the right ingredients, honey moisturizes the scarred skin and makes it easy to exfoliate the dead skin cells.
Honey and Baking Soda to Fade Scars
To make use of these:
- Mix two tablespoons of honey with one tablespoon of baking soda.
- Mix to attain a smooth paste.
- Rub a moist piece of cloth on the scarred area and massage in the paste to help exfoliate the skin.
- You could also apply a blend of olive oil and honey and apply the same on your skin regularly to help fade the scars.
Honey as a Skin Moisturizer
Honey is a natural humectant meaning it draws moisture from the air to itself. This makes it quite hydrating and moisturizing benefits which the skin draws in. it also ensures that moisture is retained in the skin for prolonged hydration. These help to give the skin some soothing effects. To reap its benefits, use it in homemade facial masks.
- Use pure natural honey on the skin and allow it to sit overnight.
- Rinse off in the morning using tepid water.
- This can be used daily for maximum benefits.
Honey for Hair
When it comes to beauty uses of honey in regard to hair, this home remedy is mostly used as a hair conditioner or to highlight the hair. Its moisturizing properties make it a perfect conditioner while at the same time giving dull hair some shine.
Honey also contains natural yet mild bleaching agents which make it a natural hair lightener. Upon application on hair, the enzyme glucose oxidase will release hydrogen peroxide which lightens the hair.
- To lighten hair, mix two tablespoons of water with three tablespoons of honey. Apply this to clean damp hair and leave it to dry for an hour. Repeat procedure once every week.
- To condition hair using honey, combine one part of honey with two parts of coconut or olive oil. Apply this generously on your hair ensuring it is evenly spread and let it sit for 30 minutes. Rinse your hair well.
Honey as a Hair Removal Product
If you are a love of homemade remedies and would love to keep off chemical filled products, you can use honey to make a homemade natural hair remover.
- Mix one tablespoon with a tablespoon of lemon juice and three tablespoons of brown sugar.
- Boil the ingredients in the microwave until the mixture turns brown and all ingredients are evenly spread.
- Using a Popsicle stick spread this mixture on your hairy area.
- Get a cotton strip and place it over the area and wait and rub it around till the unwanted hair gets off.
Honey for Nail Conditioning
Honey has elements that help in strengthening and softening the cuticles. It is loaded with enzymes and elements that heal and nourish the skin around the nails. Use it as follows:
- Mix equal amounts of honey, apple cider vinegar and coconut oil in a bowl until all ingredients are evenly spread.
- Rub and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes before rinsing off. b this mixture over the cuticles
The above beauty uses of honey are easy to apply at use. Make them part of your regular beauty regimen as need may be and enjoy the benefits of this great natural product.