Looking for the best eyebrow pencil? Learn get not only the best waterproof, conditioning, natural looking or top overall but also how to use, apply and choose eyebrow pencils. You will also learn more on black, blonde, red brow pencils and some tips and secrets.
A good eyebrow pencil when used together with a good eyeshadow and eyeliner can give you breathe taking and glamorous looks. They create the most natural, voluminous, smooth looks without the need to go for eyebrow transplants to have thick eyebrows. In this guide, we are going to give you answers to the following areas amongst many others areas:
- What are eyebrow pencils and how do you choose them?
- What are the benefits of brow pencils?
- Are there any best eyebrow pencil brands?
- How do you use eye brow pencils?
- What are some of the important tips and ideas for using brow pencils?
What Are Eyebrow Pencils
Eyebrow pencils or brow pencils refer to pencil shaped eyebrow makeup used to enhance the appearance of eyebrows. Instead of the normal pencil lead, they have eyebrow makeup and look much the same as eyeliner pencil.
If you have never used them, they are particularly is used to outline, fill, alter, color and define eyebrow. Brow pencils are often applied in areas you want to enhance, and in styles you prefer such as arching your brows beyond their natural top eyebrows, coloring them, changing their shape and so on.
Benefits of Using an Eyebrow Pencil
Are there any benefits of eyebrow pencils? Why should I use them instead of brow tints, powders or dyes? The answer is yes. When compared to other eye makeup, brow pencils have many benefits, which include the following:
- Unlike eyebrow powders their pencil-like shapes makes application very easy and better in filling your eyebrows.
- Eyebrow waxing, threading, tweezing and plucking could be painful. However, using brow pencils is painless. You do want to go through all that pain while brow pencils can help define and shape your eyebrows.
- The other benefit of eyebrow pencils is their effectiveness in adding volume and depth. They play this role better than eyebrow tints, dyes or powders, especially to people who have thin eyebrows. See more on thin eyebrows, causes and how to fill them.
- They are safer to use compared coloring your eyebrows by dying since no eyebrow dye has been approved by FDA and presents a number of possible risks.
They are not permanent makeup where you can easily clean them using a good makeup remover or what and being all over again.
How to Choose Eyebrow Pencil – Buying Tips
There are different best eyebrow pencils in the market. You cannot just buy whatever you find since they are designed to serve various purposes – they will help get different looks and they come in different colors.
Furthermore, other than the normal routines for buying any other products of comparing prices and looking for discounts to make a saving, there are important things you need to consider when choosing eyebrow pencils. As we look at how to choose them, we will cover them. So how to you choose these brow defining pencils?
Consider Eyebrow Pencils Colors
The first consideration that is important is looking at the brow pencil colors carefully and choosing ones that will best compliment your facial features such as hair color, eye color, skin tone and other features you might be having. See more on how to color eyebrows, tips, secrets and much more.
Brown and Black Eyebrow Pencil – There are the most common type of brow pencils in the market. They give subtle looks when used in small amounts and can match most of the facial features people have.
However, to people who find black eyebrows very harsh, they can go for other eyebrow colors. They might not be ideal for women who have very dark colored eyebrows since they can hardly be noticed unless used lightly and using feathery soft strokes. Some of the leading black you can buy include:
- Maybelline Define-A-Brow Soft Black
- Shiseido Natural in Natural Black
- NYX Auto
- Black, Estee Lauder – Automatic Brow Pencil Duo Refill black or Brown
- Rimmel Professional Black/Brown.
Other than Rimmel and Estee Launder that come in brown too, if you want brown eyebrows additional best brown brow pencil include NYX Cosmetics Automatic Light Brown, NYX Auto Pencil in Dark Brown, Rimmel – Dark Brown, IMAN- Blackest Brown, among many others.
Blonde Eyebrow Pencil – Blonde eyebrow pencils is another good color choice you can go for. Some of these brow pencils include:
- Laura Mercier Triangular Eye Brow Pencil – Blonde
- Laura Mercier Blonde
- Too Faced Brow-nie Blonde-y
- Maybelline Define-A-Brow Dark Blonde among many others.
Many other brow pencil colors exists other than black, blonde or brown and they might include red eyebrow pencils, gray, and any other color you might want. They come in many colors as in the case of mascara, eyeshadows or eyeliners. For instance if you love red eyebrow pencils you could buy Mystique, Red Brown as it will give you looks close to red.
Your facial features will play a very important role in choosing the right brow pencils that will flatter your eyebrows. The important facial features you should look at when choosing them include the following:
- Hair Color – People with fair hair color can choose dark brown brow pencils if they want the subtle and very natural looks. Brunettes with eyebrows that are black should go for black eyebrow pencils. Generally, buy one or two shades lighter than your hair color if you want to match the two.
- Black and Dark Brown Eyebrows – most women with these colors of eyebrows often go for brown or black eyebrow pencil colors. There colors might not look standing but they are a good option for natural looks. Your beauty consultant could help you in deciding what will best make your dark brown or black eyebrows quite flattering.
- Red Eyebrows – most women you have red eyebrows tend to have freckled or fair complexion and red hair. They should go for darker brow pencils colors especially brown. Going for the light brow pencils will also make them stunning. Try chestnut brown.
- Fair Eyebrows – If you have fair eyebrows and skin, try pencil eyebrow colors that are a shade or two darker than the color of your eyebrows. This can help define them. Going for a lighter shade will make them invisible.
Blondes – Blondes can go for some of the blonde eyebrow pencils above mentioned above. They should however ensure the specific brand helps define their eyebrows, depending on their skin color. Try one or two shades darker than your skin or eyebrow colors.
Type of Eyebrow Pencil – Waterproof and Glitter
If you want long lasting brow pencils, you need to go for such brands particularly. For instance, waterproof eyebrow pencils will stay put, smudge or migrate less. People who want a good waterproof eyebrow pencil could try any of the following best waterproof brow pencils:
- Sorme Water Proof Pencil Soft Gray
- Retractable Brow Pencil – Waterproof
- Smashbox Waterproof Brow Tech to Go
- Mecca Cosmetica’s Stay All Day Waterproof Brow Colour among many other brands.
You could also go for glittery if you want the shimmer looks on your eyebrows such as the Guerlain Silver Glitter. There are other types of brow pencils to go for.
When choosing them, you need to consider the specific brands. There are many best brands in the market and it is only by reading many brow pencil reviews, ratings and user comments you will be able to know which one is ideal. We have given you some of the best eyebrow pencils in the market below.
Best Eyebrow Pencil Brands – Top Brands Overall
We have looked at how to choose brow pencils, bearing in mind different aspects such as facial features, colors, types and brands. It is time to give you some of the best eyebrow pencils in the market, before we look at how to applying or how to use them.
We reviewed most of the popular brow pencils in the market while coming with the below list of the best eyebrow pencils. It is still subjective and not all-inclusive. So, what are some of the best these brands you can buy?
- Christian Dior Diorshow Brow Styler Ultra Fine Pencil
- Kevyn Aucoin The Precision Brow Pencil – Brunette
- T. LeClerc
- Lancome ‘Le Crayon Poudre’ Brow Powder Pencil
- Define-A-Brow® By Maybelline
- Anastasia Brow Wiz
- Rimmel London Professional Dark Brown 001
- Avon Glimmersticks Brows Definer
- Revlon Vital Radiance Brows Defining Pencil
Best Waterproof Eyebrow Pencils
If waterproof brow pencils are what you need, some of the best eyebrow you should buy for best results includes the following:
- Stila Cosmetics Stay All Day Waterproof Brows Color
- Christian Dior Diorshow Brow Styler Pencil
- Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof Brows Pencil
- Smashbox Brow Tech To Go
Best Eyebrow Pencils for Natural Looks
For daytime use, you need the most natural looking pencils for your eyebrows. The will ensure they are hardly noticeable yet they will give you glamorous looks.
If you like, you can wear them to your office or anywhere you wish. Some of the best eyebrow pencils for natural looks include the following:
- Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof Brow Pencil
- Josie Maran Argan Magic Brows Brow Marker + Brow Powder Duo
- Lavera All Brows
- Origins Fill In The Blanks Eyebrow Enhancer
- Shobha Pencil for Brows
Best Eyebrow Pencils for Conditioning
Your eyebrows will look best if they are conditioned. Other than adding color, defining or adding volume to your eyebrows, some pencils can help condition your eyebrows to make them better looking. Some of the best conditioning eyebrows include the following:
- Anastasia Brow Fix
- MAC Cosmetics MAC Brow Finisher
- Lavera All Brows
- It Cosmetics Brow Power Universal Brow Pencil
- Too Faced Brownie Pencil
How to Apply Eyebrow Pencils – How to Use Pencil Eyebrows
A great deal has been covered on pencils for eyebrows. It is time to learn how to apply eyebrow pencils or use them.
If you have thin eyebrows and you would like to fill them, see how to fill thin eyebrows on Thin Eyebrows Causes, Tips, and How to Fill How to Thin Eyebrows.
When applying pencils for eyebrows, you need to have an eyebrow brush, mirror, sharpener, makeup brush, and cotton pads or swabs. Here are the steps on how to use them.
- You need to have groomed your eyebrows beforehand. This will involve things such as trimming bushy eyebrows, tinting, waxing, threading, eyebrow shaping, etc. You do not apply eyebrow pencil and then begin growing them.
- Pick the correct pencil shade. If blunt, sharpen it to ensure it has a pointed tip, not to sharp to poke you. This will ensure you have best and most natural looks.
- Brush your eyebrows, and begin applying eyebrow pencil form inner eye corners outwards using feathery strokes in an upward direction while following your brow shapes. Apply mild pressure and ensure the strokes are short and light.
- Clear any mess using the cotton pads including any smudges, unnatural strokes, stray lines, or uneven lines. Cotton swabs will be ideal for clearing any straying marks you have created.
- If you necessary, an eyebrow brush should be used to ensure your brow pencils is evenly applied. Brush in the same manner you did as you were applying them.
How to Apply Eyebrow Pencil Video Presented by Lancôme
<iframe width=”576″ height=”324″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q_sEFBaToUU” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
Eyebrow Pencil Tips, Ideas, Advices and Secrets
In addition to the how to apply eyebrow pencil steps covered above and the video, you need to know a few tips, secrets and advice to avoid making silly mistakes or ruining your looks.
- To get defined eyebrows, you can use your brow pencils to outline them. brow stencils can only be used to guide you in outlining if they were using before shaping or plucking your eyebrows.
- Avoid using brow pencil on your skin. It should be used on your eyebrows if you want the most authentic looks.
- Invest in good quality or best brand that will assure you best results. Going for an inferior quality might not give you the best of looks.
How to choose and apply eyebrow pencil should be very clear. The above tips should make everything much easier. If you practice well, the process requires less than two minutes of your time and it is much easier than applying other eye makes like mascara, false eyelashes, eyeliner or eyeshadow.
See More on Eyebrow Makeup
- Eyebrow Dye – How to, Tips, Choosing, Risks and Best Eyebrow Dye Kits
- Best Eyebrow Powder – Tips, How to Choose and Apply Eyebrow Powders
- Eyebrow Tinting – Best, Tips, Tint Types, How to Choose and Tint Eyebrows
- Best Eyebrow Stencils – Types, Tips, How to Choose and Use Stencils for Eyebrows
- How to Color Eyebrows and Choose Brow Colors, Tips, Secrets and Advices
More on Eyebrow Grooming
- Eyebrow Shaping Guide – How to, Tips, Men and Women Eyebrow Shaping
- How to Arch Eyebrows – Step and Tips for Eyebrow Arching
- How to Trim Eyebrows for Women, Men and Tips for Brow Trimming
- How to Tweeze Eyebrows – Best Tweezers, Tips , Tweezing
- Eyebrow Threading – Tips, Benefits, Services, How to, Cons of Brow Threading
- Eyebrow Waxing – Best Kits, Tips, Salons, How to Wax Eyebrows
- Plucking Eyebrows – How to, Tips and Ways to Reduce Pain
- Best Eyebrow Shapes for Different Face Shapes
Suggested Further Reading
- Celebrities with No Eyebrows – With and Without Eyebrows Looks?
- How to Grow Eyebrows Fast – Tips, Advice, Grow Eyebrows Back
- Thin Eyebrows Causes, Tips, and How to Fill How to Thin Eyebrows
- Bushy eyebrows – Tips, Advice, How to Trim Bushy Eyebrows and Celebrities with Bushy Eyebrows
- Eyebrow Loss – Causes, Remedies, Treatment and Cures
- How to Get Thick Eyebrows – Tricks, Tips, Ideas and Ways to Get Thicker Eyebrows
- Eyebrow Tattoos – Costs, Benefits, Cons, Permanent Eyebrows Procedure
- Eyebrow Piercings Guide – Types, Healing, After Care, Jewelry, Process, Tips