Nobody fancies the idea of having a tough, leather-like skin that feels tight and taut every time they walk out of the shower. Unfortunately, dry skin is a problem that will afflict most people at one time or the other. This guide will share with you some natural home remedies for dry skin that can be used to get rid of skin fast?
Home Remedies for Dry Skin on Face
If you have a dry skin on face, you need a proper moisturizing regimen to rehydrate the skin. There are numerous home remedies that can be used to cure dry skin without seeking the intervention of a doctor or dermatologist. We have covered home remedies for dry skin in another article, but we’ll add up to our list a bit more in this guide.
Dry skin can be treated at home by adopting moisture restoring practices. A moisturized skin is usually supple, soft and healthy-looking, and is also less prone to infections. One great way to keep the skin moisturized is to use lotions such as Cetaphil and Eucerin moisturizing lotions.
It is also a great idea to have a humidifier in your house especially in the cold months of winter when humidity level is typically the lowest. You can humidify the whole house or buy a portable humidifier.
2. Olive oil + Egg Yolk
Olive oil is usually rich in vitamin E and K while egg yolk is rich in vitamin A which rejuvenates the skin making it soft and smooth.
Break two eggs in a bowl and separate the egg yolk. To the egg yolk, add a teaspoon of olive oil and stir thoroughly to obtain a smooth paste before applying to the face for ten to fifteen minutes. Finally, rinse your face with warm water. You can as well add a few rose water and lime juice drops to the mixture for better results.
3. Coconut oil
Coconut oil also has a deep moisturizing action and is ideal for use on even scaly skin. It is rich in fatty acids which restore skin moisture resulting in softer, healthy-looking skin. Coconut oil should ideally be applied before bedtime and left to work on the skin overnight.
4. Lemon juice + Sugar
Being a citrus fruit, a lemon juice is typically rich in vitamin C which is a natural astringent. When used on the skin, it makes the skin lighter and more evenly textured, removes any patches due to dryness, and promotes the growth of skin cells.
A mixture of lemon juice and sugar moisturizes and rejuvenates the skin making it soft and radiant.
Cut a lemon into two halves. Squeeze the juice from one half into a glass and add a teaspoon of sugar to it. Stir to dissolve the sugar and apply to the face in circular motions using a cotton ball.
5. Petroleum jelly + Glycerin
Petroleum jelly, especially Vaseline, and glycerin are classic skin care products and when used together, they make a perfect combination for dry skin and even flaky skin.
Mix equal amounts (approximately of course) of a petroleum jelly and glycerin and slather the mixture on your face.
6. Banana + Yoghurt
A banana and yoghurt mixture is another common home remedy for skin dryness that not only replenishes the facial skin’s moisture but also exfoliates the skin, getting rids of any dead cells.
Mash a banana in a small bowl and mash it to obtain a smooth paste. Add half a cup of plain yoghurt and stir thoroughly until mixed well. Apply to your skin and leave it on for fifteen minutes, then wash it off with warm water.
7. Almond oil
Almond oil is yet another splendid home remedy for dry skin. It is rich in vitamin E and works great for sun burned skin. A good thing about almond oil is that it is non-greasy and absorbs rather fast on the skin.
Apply some almond oil in your palm, rub the hands together and slather it on your face gently for 3 to 5 minutes. Allow it to stay on your skin for about ten minutes and then wash it off with warm water.
Home Remedies for Dry Itchy Skin
1. Baking soda
Baking soda is a fantastic and commonly used home remedy for dry itchy skin. Its soothing and anti-inflammatory properties get rid of skin itchiness very fast. However, baking soda should never be applied on open wounds or cracked skin.
Pour 1 cup of baking soda into a bath tub containing cold water and relax in the water for half an hour
Alternatively, take a few spoons of baking soda and mix with water at a ratio of 3:1 and then apply the resulting solution onto the affected area with a cotton wool.
2. Juniper Berries + Cloves
Juniper berries have long history of treatment of itchy skin especially among Native Americans due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Cloves on the other hand contain eugenol which is an essential oil that relives itching by making the nerve ends numb.
Juniper and cloves mixture is a great home remedy for dry, itchy skin.
- Add 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter to a small frying pan and heat it gently until it melts.
- In another pan, add 2 tablespoons of beeswax and heat it as well till it melts.
- Mix the melted butter with the beeswax and stir well before adding 3 tablespoonful ground cloves and 5 tablespoonfuls of ground juniper berries.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly and leave it to cool before applying it to the affected part of the body
Natural Remedies for Dry Skin
Dry skin needs special care and attention as it is susceptible to various problems. Regular moisturizing is especially necessary but most drugstore moisturizing lotions and skin care products come with a significant price tag.
Luckily, nature has some of the best remedies for dry skin. The good thing about most natural remedies is that the ingredients are not only cheap but also easily available. In fact most of them will be available in your kitchen already.
Here are several natural home remedies that you may want to use to heal your dry skin:
- Drink plenty of water to ensure good hydration of your skin. Eight glasses of water at the very minimum is recommended per day
- Adding a teaspoon of almond oil to a glass of warm milk and drinking it before sleeping about three times a week works great for dry skin.
- Rub honey on your entire body and leave it intact for 10-15 minutes, then wash it off with warm water before bedtime
- Apply sesame on your body after showers
- Mix half a cup of baking soda with some oatmeal and vanilla extract and add the mixture into the bathing tub full of warm water before soaking in it for 30 minutes
Best Home Remedy for Dry Skin
Deciding the best home remedy for your unique situation should be guided by what ingredients you have in your home. For example, if you have coconut oil in your home, there is no point in going out to look for almond oil or olive oil. Your medical history should also be taken into account. For instance if you are allergic to nuts, you shouldn’t use almond oil.
Home Remedies for Dry Flaky Skin
Most of the home remedies discussed above will work for a dry skin as well as a dry flaky skin. One that you may specifically want to choose is the Olive oil +Egg yolk home remedy.
Read More on:
- Best Dry Skin Treatment and Cure for Men and Women
- Dry Skin Rash Causes, Treatment for Hands & Legs – With Pictures
- Dry Itchy Skin Causes, Treatment, Best Soap and Lotion
- Dry Flaky Skin Causes around Nose, Nose and Feet
- How to Get Rid of Dry Skin on Face Fast or Overnight
- Dry Skin on Face Remedies, Cures and Best Cream
- Dry Skin around Eyes – Treatment for Itchy, Flaky, Scaly Skin
- Baby Dry Skin with Patches and Rashes – Treatment and Best Lotions