Sometimes hair becomes dry and brittle and instead of maintaining its normal bounce, it frizzes. Brittleness is a sign of weakness not only in the hair, but also in your physical health. The fortunate bit is that you can treat dry brittle hair at home.
You know your hair is rough like sand when you cannot get the comb through it no matter how wide apart the bristles are. You try all the tricks you know about hair care and nothing seems to work. Do you opt to trimming it off in order to maintain a shorter look? While trimming may be a good option, it is not the only solution. Proper care to your dry hair is the first step towards getting that bouncy, silky and healthy look on your hair. Several dry hair causes could actually lead your hair to the verge of breaking and being tightly curled, but you can counter them in the comfort of your home. A visit to your hair stylist may not be necessary afterall.
Dry Brittle Hair Causes – What Causes Dry Brittle Hair
Before exploring the dry brittle hair causes, it is important to note that it is a condition prevalent in women. This is because they have longer hair unlike men who like to keep it short and neat. In men with long hair, dryness and brittleness may be experienced in their hair. There are several causes of brittle hair including:
- Lack of proper nutrients such as calcium, vitamin B, iodine and copper
- Use of too much heat when styling
- Harsh hair processing chemicals, shampoos and conditioners
- Health conditions “There are 82 conditions associated with brittle hair” (Webmd.com)
- Exposure of hair to certain weather conditions such as the sun or wind.
Dry Brittle Natural Hair
If you have natural hair, it is bound to be brittle as well. While natural and kinky is stylish, you still have to watch out for the brittle ends that can be unmanageable when styling. You can ensure a uniformed hairstyle if you keep the ends moisturized with the baggy method. This is a technique for ensuring that only the ends are deeply conditioned and kept tangles free. Conditioner is applied on the hair ends and sandwich bags tied on the ends to lock in moisture before rinsing off.
How to Treat Dry Brittle Hair
Dry brittle hair has to be treated early, as it is a major sign of hair loss in women. A woman’s hair determines her beauty and if it were not healthy or present, then she would have to suffer a great deal of low self-esteem. For starters, a good hair care regimen is a prerequisite to treat dry brittle hair. Invest in shampoos and conditioners for dry hair, and if you are busy to deep condition, always use an effective leave in conditioner.
Shampooing the hair should be done once in a week to avoid removing the essential oils from the scalp. The hair needs those oils to keep it moisturized and non-brittle. If a change of the hair products does not help, a medical check up with a certified physician would rule out any underlying conditions responsible for the dry and brittle hair.
How to Fix Dry Brittle Hair
- Shampoo once a week
- Deep condition the hair
- Oil the hair
- Sleep with a satin bonnet or scarf to lock the moisture in the hair
- Comb the hair gently with a comb with stretched bristles
- Reduce or eliminate heat styling
- Avoid the sun without a hat on your head
Dry Brittle Hair Falling Out- Symptoms and What to do
You may experience thin and unmanageable hair. This is a major sign that you could be losing your hair. Instead of panicking:
- Have your levels of iron checked
- If you are above the age of 35 years be checked for hyperthyroidism
- Analyze the foods you eat on daily basis and check to see if you have any allergies that could be causing the hair to fall out.
- Keep your scalp clean
- Eat healthy food and exercise regularly
Vitamins for Dry Brittle Hair and other Nutrients
‘You are what you eat’, the nutritionists and all the healthiness conscious people must have told you. Therefore, it is imperative to watch what you eat on daily basis, especially if you have dry brittle hair. Some nutrients contribute greatly to the well being of your hair, and more so in ensuring that it is not dry and brittle. Here is a list:
- Vitamins A, C, D, & E
- Omega 3 fatty acids found in nuts and fish oil – take a tablespoon each day of the oil
Ensure that you have plenty of the above nutrients in your balanced diet each day. It is also important to drink lots of water, at least eight glasses in a day.
Dry Brittle Hair Remedies
Several home remedies have been used to treat dry brittle hair with a lot of success. They are easily available around most homes, and cheap. You too can take advantage of what you have in the house and make your hair healthier and shinier. Here is a list of some of the items you can use:
Mash the two together to make a mask. Apply the mixture on hair and leave it for 15 minutes before rinsing off.
Rice milk + Honey
Add a teaspoon of honey to a cup of rice milk. Mix it and apply it the hair for an extra shine look.
It is not only sweet on sandwich, but it hydrates dry and brittle hair incredibly. Use it once a week on hair before shampooing. It untangles any locks on hair.
Vegetable oil+ Honey
This paste makes a great mask. It should stay on hair for 20 minutes before being rinsed off. Ensure you have a shower cap on to lock the moisture in the hair.
Hot Oil Treatment
A hot oil treatment from jojoba, coconut, almond or olive oil heated on a saucepan makes a good treatment to moisturize the dry brittle hair. Use the readily available oil knowing you will get bouncy hair immediately. Use the treatment once in a week for best results.
Suggested Further Reading:
- Dry Hair Causes – Dry Brittle, Extremely, Dry Damaged and Dry Ends
- How to Fix Dry Hair, Moisturize and Best Masks for Dry Hair
- Best Home Remedies for Dry Hair – Dry Brittle, Damaged and Frizzy
- Best Shampoo for Dry Hair – Damaged, Frizzy, Curly & Fine Hair
- Best Conditioners for Dry Hair Including Leave-in & Deep Conditioners
- Dry Hair Treatment – Which Are the Best Treatments for Dry Hair
- Best Treatments for Damaged Hair – Shampoos, Conditioners & Serums
- How to Repair Damaged Hair – Tangled, Split Ends & General Damage