Which home remedies for cracked heels work? Learn various home remedies for cracked heels that have been tried and tested. Additionally, learn how to fix cracked heels and how to relief and prevent cracked heels in this article.
The first time I suffered from cracked heels I almost invested in closed shoes to hide them away. Then I did not know the main causes of cracked heels. Before I used to see them on other women and think that, they probably never washed their feet properly. However, the most baffling thing was that I got cracked heels yet each time I took a shower I would wash them and give them a thorough scrub with a pumice stone, which I got from my mother. As I was researching about dry feet in diabetics because of my father, I came across all the causes of dry cracked heels.
It is then I discovered where I had gone wrong in order to get the heel fissures for the first time in my life. The cracks on my heels are long gone but it took several soaks, home remedies and the use of an antifungal cream my doctor had prescribed for ringworms.
I get dry heels now and then but I am able to fix them as soon as they appear with home remedies in the comfort of my house. I do not have to buy the expensive foot creams from drugstores. These DIY remedies I have tried myself and they work all the time. The best thing however, is to prevent cracked heels and I will share with you just how do that as well in this article.
What to Put On Cracked Heels or What Is Good For Cracked Heels?
If you have fissures and are wondering what to put on cracked heels, I will tell you just what to put, plenty of moisture. Whatever treatment you choose for your cracked heels whether at home or from the drugstores is should offer moisture, which is lacking in the heels in order for them to develop fissures. Plenty of moisture should close the fissures, make the heels smooth, and supple like a baby’s bottom.
What is good for cracked heels? The answer is simply any cream or homemade remedy that:
- removes the excessive dry cracked skin on heels
Home Remedies for Cracked Heels Scrubs, Foot Masks and Oils
The proper treatment of any skin condition begins with exfoliation, masking and then moisturizing. This is not any different when it comes to cracked heels. You can treat them right at home with home remedies for cracked heels that seeks to achieve these three goals. I have classified the home remedies in terms of scrubs, foot masks and oils.
Here are the scrubs you can make at home and use them on the cracked heels to remove excess dead skin cells.
- sugar mixed with coconut oil
- Salt mixed with vegetable oil or shortening
- Lemon juice mixed with sugar or salt
- Pumice stone
These foot masks home remedies for cracked heels should be applied and left on the heels for sometime before rinsing off. Use warm water to rinse them off and dry your feet.
- Olive oil-you can choose to leave this overnight when wearing soaks, or rinse off after an hour. You can use this one daily, or once per week.
- A banana pulp mashed- apply and leave for 15 minutes before rinsing off. This should be used weekly
- Avocado paste, mash an avocado and apply on the cracked heels, leave it for 15 minutes weekly
- Lemon juice mixed with glycerin and rose water. Rinse off after 20 minutes.
- Jojoba oil mixed with oatmeal powder to make a paste. Apply and rinse after 20 minutes.
- Fat butter mixed with glycerin, egg, and milk and chopped aloe vera leaf. Apply the paste and leave it for 20 minutes before washing off with warm water
Your cracked heels can also get lots of moisture from oil massages made at home. You may have some of these oils at home for other purposes like hair growth or getting rid of acne. Use them to treat your cracked heels and save big. Home remedies for cracked heels oils include the following, which you should massage on the dry heels before wearing a pair of thick cotton socks to prevent the moisture from escaping:
- Sesame oil
- Baby oil
- Olive oil mixed with any essential oils, which are both antifungal and antibacterial. Pour in an empty bottle and add lemon oil to the mixture. Add some water to make the mixture milky and shake well for consistency before use
- Coconut oil
- Any shortening oil
- Glycerin mixed with lemon juice
- Vicks vapor rub
How to Fix Cracked Heels with Foot Soaks
The above home remedies cannot work on your cracked heels if you do not make a habit of soaking your feet to make the sloughing of dead skin cells easier. Therefore, how to fix cracked heels is possible with foot soaks at home.
Spare 10 -15 minutes each day for the first seven days then limit the foot soaks to one per week when the cracks on heels diminish. Too much soaking can cause new heel fissures so be careful about this. Soaking your feet for 15 minutes makes the feet collect moisture from the water. You can also add an antiseptic to the water to kill any bacterial and fungal germs on your heels.
Adding an essential oil is also advisable. The water should be warm and should cover your feet up to the ankles. This way, your heels will be immersed in the water completely.
The best antiseptics to use in the foot soaks include:
- Apple cider vinegar
- White vinegar
- Dead Sea Mineral salts
- Epsom salts
- Lemon juice
- Table salt
- Chopped Aloe Vera leaves; this is one of my favorites.
How to fix cracked heels with foot soaks with essential oils is also beneficial for their healing process. The commonly used essential oil in foot soaks is
- Lavender oil
However, you can use the kind that you have readily available.
How to Prevent Cracked Heels Things to Avoid
The best way to avoid having crusty or cracked heels is prevention. They say it is better than the cure. Therefore, how to prevent cracked should entail not doing the following:
- Avoid walking bare foot on hard, damp and hot surfaces
- Taking hot showers or baths
- Soaking feet frequently or for more than 15 minutes
- Wearing open back shoes
- Wearing flat shoes, they should be slightly heeled about an ½ -1inch
- Standing for long hours
- Walking for long hours with ill fitting shoes
- Not drinking water
- Not eating a balanced diet