While it does not pose any health risk, sebaceous cysts can be stubbornly conspicuous. To help you get rid of them, we discus various sebaceous cyst home treatment options applicable on the face, scalp and back, ear, labia and scrotum. These include home remedies such as vinegar, tea tree, castor oil and baking soda.
A sebaceous cyst is a non-cancerous protuberance that occurs underneath the skin and is characterized by a bulging red bump. They are round but vary in size. These bumps tend to develop suddenly on areas with high sebum production such as chest, neck, face, back, scalp and shoulders. They will normally be filled with a yellowish oil liquid. Although some people refer to them as keratin or epidermoid cysts, they are different from them and thus the names should not be used interchangeably. They do not require treatment and will mostly go away on their own.
What causes sebaceous cysts? A sebaceous cyst will occur when the sebaceous glands get blocked by keratin protein. This could occur as a result of a number of things including:
- Hormonal imbalance
- Blockage of sebaceous glands
- Swollen hair follicles
- Trauma on skin
- Shaving resulting in ingrown hairs.
- Excessive production of sebum
- History of acne
Home Remedies for Sebaceous Cysts
When a sebaceous cyst emerges on the skin, it drains a cheesy liquid which could be foul smelling. While popping it may be the first thought you get, you can help prevent scarring and infection by not squeezing a cyst yourself. [Mayoclinic.org]. Instead, try the sebaceous cyst home treatment options discussed below.
Alow Vera Herbal Sebaceous Cyst Home Treatment
Aloe vera contains skin healing properties. It helps to relief pain through its cooling effect. This also helps in eliminating irritation. Aloe is also known to hasten the cystic wound healing.
- Extract aloe juice from afresh aloe leaf.
- Apply this directly on the skin affected by sebaceous cyst.
- Gently massage the cyst to enhance penetration of the treatment.
- Repeat procedure two times daily until the cyst is gone.
Apple Cider Vinegar Home Treatment for Sebaceous Cyst
Where you are dealing with an infected sebaceous cyst, apple cider vinegar will help treat it at home. Its antimicrobial properties help in clearing off bacteria from cyst. It can also help to drain off pus from the cyst.
- Dilute some vinegar with an equal amount of water.
- Soak a cotton ball in the apple cider vinegar solution.
- Rub this gently on the cyst and hold for a while before removing it.
- Repeat up to four times in a day.
Honey to Eliminate Sebaceous Cysts
There are limitless ways through which honey can be used topically for sebaceous cyst home treatment. It has wound healing properties which make it an effective cure for stubborn cysts.
- Make a honey poultice by blending wheat grass and honey in a blender. Apply the poultice on the sebaceous cyst and leave it on overnight.
- Make a banana and honey paste by mashing up the two ingredients. Blending could also suffice. Apply this home treatment on the cyst and leave it on through the night before washing it off.
- You could also mix three parts of honey with one part of cinnamon powder to make a paste. Apply this on the cyst.
- A final method would be to make an egg white-honey mask.
Turmeric for Sebaceous Cyst Removal
Turmeric contains curcumin which gives it antibacterial properties. When applied topically, it can help treat as well as prevent sebaceous cyst infection.
- Mix turmeric powder, honey and water in equal amounts to make a consistent paste.
- Apply this on the cyst and leave it on until completely dry
- Wash it off with warm water.
- You could also consume a tablespoon of turmeric in a glass of milk to reap its detoxifying benefits from within.
Epsom Salt to get Rid of Sebaceous Cyst
This common treatment for sebaceous cyst cure is easy to use. It works by drawing out infections and thus help in the healing of the sebaceous cyst.
- Have your bath tub filled with water.
- Add a cup of Epsom salt to it.
- Soak in it for 30 minutes and repeat daily to cure the sebaceous cysts.
Grapefruit Seed Extract for Sebaceous Cyst Removal
Grape fruit seed extract is a natural germicide known to be effective on healing sebaceous cysts. Due to its high potency, the remedy needs to be used in minute quantities.
- Get a drop of grapefruit seed extract.
- Using a cotton ball, apply the remedy directly on the cyst.
- Use some tissue to dab any excess extract from the skin.
- Use a band aid to cover up the cyst.
Colloidal Silver Home Remedy for Sebaceous Cyst
Colloidal silver is a natural antibiotic made of silver particles suspended in ion-less water. It works to reduce inflammation on the sebaceous cyst as well as reduce infection by stimulating the flow of lymphatic fluids.
When this home remedy for sebaceous cyst is used on the skin, it provides effective and quick healing. Follow manufacturer instructions when using it on your skin.
Milk Thistle for Sebaceous Cyst Home Treatment
Milk thistle is among the home treatments that can be used to get rid of sebaceous cysts forever. Once consumed, it helps to cleanse the liver and eliminate toxins from the body. This contributes to the permanent removal of sebaceous cysts and also helps in avoiding their recurrence. The remedy also has anti-inflammatory properties and is a strong antioxidant.
You can take milk thistle in capsules form or in tincture. Only take this remedy by following the instructions given by your herbalist or doctor since it affects the kidney and over use may cause health problems.
Burdock Sebaceous Cyst Cure
This home remedy for sebaceous cysts has antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. It has proved effective on various skin infections. It is common in treatment of acne and psoriasis and has shown effect on sebaceous cysts.
- Get two tablespoons of dried burdock root or one coarsely chopped root and boil it in three cups of water.
- Lower the heat and allow the remedy to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Get it off the fire and leave steep for 15 minutes.
- Strain and have this tea three times each day. If the taste is too strong for you add honey.
- You could also apply a warm compress using the tea to topically treat the cyst.
Hot Compress to Treat Sebaceous Cysts on Labia, Scrotum and testicles
The genitals are a bit sensitive and thus any home treatment for sebaceous cysts on them should be used carefully. A hot Compress can be used as a home treatment for sebaceous cyst on these areas.
It helps in draining its contents thus eliminating swelling and inflammation. One though has to be cautious when applying the hot compress on the affected area as too much heat could cause harm and lead to infections.
Sebaceous Cyst Home Treatment Using Essential Oils
While treating infected sebaceous cysts, essential oils come in handy. Like seen in the discussion below, there are some that possess qualities that are beneficial in the elimination of cysts.
Tea Tree Oil for Sebaceous Cyst
Tea tree acts as an anti-inflammatory and antibacterial agent. These are helpful in the healing process of various skin conditions. When applied on sebaceous cysts, it works as a protective layer and also fights off infection. It also helps to prevent cyst recurrence.
- Dilute two drops of tea tree oil with an equal amount of water.
- Apply this on the cyst in the morning.
- Use a band aid to cover up the cyst.
- Remove the band aid after 10 hours and avoid sleeping in it at night.
Castor Oil for Sebaceous Cyst Home Treatment
Castor oil contains ricin which gives it antibacterial properties. It will effectively counter itching and inflammation on the cyst. Below is how to use castor oil for home treatment of sebaceous cysts.
- You could rub castor oil gently on the cyst for a few times in a day or use it with a warm compress as discussed below.
- Soak a clean piece of cloth in castor oil.
- Place this on the cyst and hold.
- Place a hot compress on top of the oiled cloth and hold for a few minutes.
- The heat will accelerate the effect of the oil and thus heal it by making it shrink.
Frankincense Oil for sebaceous Cyst
This is mostly used in aromatherapy for its calming properties. It is also used to treat skin conditions and can thus be used in treating sebaceous cyst infections. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, the oil can help to reduce the size of the cyst. To use frankincense oil for home treatment for sebaceous cysts:
- Add three drops of frankincense oil to a tablespoon of a carrier oil such as olive oil.
- Apply this remedy to the sebaceous cyst two time each day until it is healed.
Homeopathic Home Treatment for Sebaceous Cyst
You could also apply homeopathy in your home treatment for sebaceous cyst. These have no side effects if used as directed by the homeopath. Some that are effective in eliminating sebaceous cysts include:
- Baryta carbonica
- Calcarea carbonica
- Agaricus muscarius
- Nitric acid
- Ammonium carbonicum
- Hepar sulphuris
- Kali bromium
- Kali carbonicum
- Spongia tosta
- Thuja occidentalis
How long the sebaceous cyst home treatment takes to yield results will depend on the consistency of use. Results may vary from one person to another depending on the severity. In case of severe infection on the cyst or any other concerns, see your dermatologist.