Having black knees can be quite embarrassing. It can make it difficult for you to wear short skirts and sleeves and make you want to avoid activities such as swimming. This dermal problem can affect anyone regardless of their skin color. So, how do you get rid of dark knees? You will find out in just a moment, but first…
What Causes Dark Knees?
The question “why do I have dark knees?” is an important one and deserves an explanation before we go into the fine details of how to get rid of dark knees. Now, the skin around the knees is naturally thicker and characterized by more folds, and doesn’t have oil glands – which makes it typically drier than other parts of the body. Without adequate care, an interplay of these factors can make skin on the knees turn darker than the rest of the skin.
Among the most common underlying causes of dark knees are:
- Friction: Too much rubbing e.g. as a result of kneeling frequently causes a buildup of dead skin cells in the knees.
- Overexposure to the sun: This can result in increased melanin production.
- Poor exfoliation: Resulting in a buildup of dead skin cells.
- Genetic factors: some people have genetic propensity to black knees.
- Dry skin.
- Hormonal imbalance.
- Diabetes: According to Mayo Clinic, Dark knees, elbows, knuckles, neck, and armpits (acanthosis nigricans) may be an early sign of diabetes.
How to Get Rid Of Dark Knees Fast At Home
If you are prone to dark knees, then you will be delighted to know that there are many natural, safe, and effective DIY home remedies that you can use to get rid of the problem and get your smooth, soft, and even toned skin back.
Most of these home remedies combine skin exfoliation with natural skin lightening and moisturizing to get rid of black knees. Keep in mind, however, that these natural remedies for black patches on the knees are not guaranteed to work for everyone. Also, don’t expect overnight or fast results e.g. in a day or two. A couple weeks to a month of use is more realistic for most cases of dark knee caps.
With that said, here is how to get rid of dark knees naturally at home:
The natural bleaching action of lemon juice is close to none. This coupled with its exfoliating and antioxidant properties makes it one of the best natural home remedies for dark knees.
- Cut a lemon into two halves.
- Rub one half on one knee for 10 minutes.
- Repeat the process on the other knee with the remaining half.
- Finish off by moisturizing with Vaseline or lotion.
Method 2: Lemon Juice and Honey
- Cut a lemon into two halves.
- Squeeze it to extract its juice.
- Add 1 tablespoon of honey to the juice.
- Apply the mixture to the darkened knees and leave it on for 20 minutes before washing it off with cool water.
- Repeat a couple times each day and the knees will soon lighten.
Baking soda has amazing natural exfoliation action, thanks to its gritty texture. To treat dark knees with baking soda, follow the steps below:
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of baking soda and milk.
- Scrub the paste on the knees in gentle circular motions for 3 minutes or so.
- Wash the paste off with warm water.
- Repeat this treatment every other day until the hyperpigmentation fades away.
Milk helps to moisturize the knees while fighting the hyperpigmentation by bleaching it naturally.
As we have already mentioned, dark knees and dry skin often go hand in hand. The moisturizing action of coconut oil can therefore go a long way in combating dryness and thus darkening of the knees.
Coconut oil is also rich in vitamin E which can help lighten the skin. This is not to mention that coconut oil helps to repair damaged skin naturally.
- Apply some coconut oil on the knee and massage it in using gentle circular motions for 2 minutes or so several times each day.
- Combine 1 teaspoon of coconut oil with ½ teaspoon of lemon juice (freshly squeezed).
- Apply the resulting solution on the dark knees.
- Leave the solution on for 20 to 30 minutes, then wipe it off with paper towel.
- Repeat this treatment regime once daily until the dark knees lighten up as desired.
This method throw in the exfoliating action of walnut for more robust knee whitening action, so to speak.
- Grind 5 walnuts enough to make a course rather than a fine powder.
- Add in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and mix them thoroughly to make a well blended paste.
- Scrub the paste on the dark knees in gentle circular motions for 10 minutes than wash it off with water.
- Repeat the process regularly until the knees get cured.
Olive Oil and Sugar Scrub for Dark Knees Lightening
A homemade sugar scrub can help to whiten and remove dark knees by exfoliating the dead skin cells and softening the skin. Olive oil on the other hand is richly moisturizing to the skin. Here is how to get rid of dark knees with olive oil and sugar scrub:
- Combine sugar and olive oil in equal proportions e.g. 1 tablespoon each.
- Apply the scrub on the knees and massage it in gently in circular motions for about 5 minutes.
- Wash the sugar scrub off with warm water and mild soap.
- Repeat this remedy once every day until the skin lightens, then cut down to once a week thereafter.
Yoghurt is rich in lactic acid which is an amazing natural skin bleaching agent. In addition to lightening dark knees, yoghurt also moisturizes and cleanses the skin. As for how to get rid of dark knees, there are numerous options to choose from as outlined below:
- Add 1 teaspoon of white vinegar to 1 teaspoon of plain yoghurt.
- Blend the two ingredients thoroughly to get a smooth paste.
- Apply it to the knees and give it time to dry.
- Once dry, rub it in gentle circular options shortly and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Pat the knees dry and then apply a moisturizer.
- To effectively remove dark knees, repeat this treatment once each day.
Method 2: Gram Flour + Yoghurt
Also referred to as chickpea flour, gram flours is also a great exfoliating agent that helps to remove dead skin cells from darkened knees and thus heal the dark patches.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of gram flour with enough yoghurt to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste to your knees and then allow it to work in for 20 minutes.
- Rub the treatment area with wet fingers for 5 minutes or so, then rinse the paste off with water.
- Repeat this treatment process every other day for a few weeks and you will soon see those dark knees lighten up.
Method 3: Yoghurt and Almond Oil
This natural remedy throws in the moisturizing and exfoliating action of almond oil.
- Grind 10 almonds enough to make a course rather than a fine powder.
- Pour in 2 tablespoons of plain yoghurt and then blend them thoroughly until you get a fine paste.
- Apply the paste to those dark knees in gentle circular motions.
- Wash the paste off after 15-20 minutes of action.
- Use this home treatment remedy several times each week until the dark knees heal.
Aloe vera is also acclaimed for its natural skin healing and moisturizing properties. It is especially helpful for dark knees caused by excessive exposure to the sun. here is how to get rid of dark knees with aloe vera:
- Grab a fresh leaf from an aloe vera plant.
- Apply the gel oozing from it directly to the knees.
- Allow the gel to work into the skin for 20 minutes then rinse it off with water.
- Repeat once or twice daily
In the list of natural home remedies for dark knees also is cucumber. It has natural bleaching action that can help to lighten the skin blemishes.
Couple that with the moisturizing and impurity removal action of cucumber and you have enough reasons to try it:
- Cut a cucumber into thin slices.
- Rub the slices gently over those dark knees for 10 minutes.
- Now let the cucumber juice work into the skin for 5 minutes and the rinse it off with water.
- Repeat this process once daily for the best dark knee removal action.
- Mash a small cucumber piece into fine paste.
- Mix 1 tablespoon each of the mashed cucumber and lemon juice.
- Apply the mixture onto the knees.
- Allow it to stay on for 20 minutes or so before washing it off with cool water.
- Repeat this home treatment once every day to clear dark knees.
Hydrogen Peroxide for Dark Knees
Hydrogen peroxide is also touted to help clear black knees. As for how to get rid of dark knees with hydrogen peroxide, here are the steps to follow:
- Dilute hydrogen peroxide with equal amount of water
- Apply it to your skin with the help of a cotton ball.
- Massage it gently into the skin for 15 minutes
- Wash it off with water and finish off by applying a moisturizer.
- Repeat the process once daily.
Dark Knees Cream
If the above DIY home remedies for dark knees don’t give you the desired results or are simply not your kind of thing, then you may want to try a dark knees cream. There are many products out there in this category and although ingredients differ from one product to another, most of them work by bleaching the black marks caused by skin hyperpigmentation while moisturizing and restoring the skin.
Among the most prominent dark knees cream products are:
- Darggett & Ramsdell Knee & Elbow Lightening Cream
- Whitenicious Dark Knuckles, Knees and Elbows Lightening Cream
Now that you know how to get rid of dark knees, it is about time you take control back into your own hands. No more need to stay away from short skirts or avoid certain sporting activities.
Mayo Clinic: Prediabetes: Symptoms