Wondering how to get rid of dark elbows? You are not alone. The condition is rather common but is usually not a health concern. Even then, uneven skin is unwelcome and can make you conscious about wearing short sleeved tops. Read on to discover the best home remedies to lighten (whiten) and remove black elbows at home.
Dark Elbows Causes
Why are my elbows black? Well, dark elbows are caused by hyperpigmentation in the skin. Anyone can get dark elbows when exposed to the causative factors but the condition tends to be more common in darker skin-toned individuals since they have more melanin in the skin. The area around the elbow have thicker skin which tends to be dry (there are no oil glands there) and can readily turn dark due to any of the underlying causes of dark elbows including:
- Genetics: Black elbows may be passed from one generation to another.
- Obesity: the excess fat in obese people may trigger darkening of the elbows.
- Dry skin
- Excessive sun exposure
- Use of certain medication: Dark patches on the elbows may be the result of some medications you are taking.
- Frequent rubbing of the elbows e.g. against a desk when typing.
- Hormonal imbalances
How to Get Rid Of Dark Elbows: Home Remedies for Black Elbows Lightening and Treatment
Now, how do you get rid of dark elbows? Well you may benefit from medical treatments such as cream, chemical peels, and laser treatment, but there are as well many safe and natural remedies and skin care techniques that you can use at home to lighten and remove dark spots on elbows including:
Lemon Juice or Lime Juice
Rich in citric acid, lemon juice is a natural bleaching agent. It also has exfoliating properties that are beneficial to dark elbows.
Used consistently, lemon juice will help to whiten the skin around the elbows back to their natural color.
- Cut a lemon or lime into two halves.
- Rub your elbows each with one half while squeezing gently to force the juice out.
- Allow the juice to stay on for 20 minutes
- Rinse your elbows with water and then slather on a good moisturizer to avoid the drying-effect of lemon juice.
- Repeat this remedy a number of times each week until the discolored skin lighten back to their natural color.
Coconut oil has amazing skin healing properties thanks to the abundance of vitamin E and its strong moisturizing properties.
How to get rid of dark elbows with coconut oil
- Apply generous amount of coconut oil to your elbows after each shower and massage it gently for a minute or so.
- Alternatively, mix 1 tablespoon of walnut powder with some coconut oil to make a paste with fine consistency. Apply the paste on your elbows and then massage the area gently for a 2 minutes. This home treatment helps to exfoliate the skin of the dead skin cells and is best used a few times each week.
- You can also use coconut oil alongside lemon juice. Mix a tablespoon of coconut oil with ½ tablespoon of lemon juice and then rub it gently over your darkened elbows. Wipe the mixture off with a paper towel after 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat the process daily until the dark elbows lighten to your desire.
The healing properties of aloe vera has been recognized for eons. It helps to heal damaged skin cells while moisturizing the skin.
Applied to dark elbows, aloe vera can also help to even skin tone and thus get rid of the darkening.
- Cut a fresh aloe vera leaf and then slit it along its length to expose the inside surface.
- Apply the exposed gel on the darkened elbows.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes then get it off your skin with water.
- Do this twice each day until the dark spots get healed.
Baking soda is a mild natural skin cleanser and exfoliant. By getting rid of dead skin cells and reducing the hyperpigmentation blemishes in the skin, baking soda helps to remove dark elbows naturally. How to get rid of dark elbows with baking soda? Most experts recommend using it alongside milk as outlines below:
- Make a fine paste out of 1tablespoon each of baking soda and milk.
- Rub it into your elbows in gentle circular motions.
- Continue rubbing for 2 minutes or so, then wash it off with tepid water.
- Repeat the process three times each week until the dark patches go away.
Thanks to its gritty texture, sugar constitutes a great natural exfoliant which can help to remove dark elbows naturally at home. To make a sugar scrub at home and use to get rid of dark elbows and soften the skin, follow these steps:
- Mix a tablespoon each of olive oil and sugar.
- Apply the paste to parts of the elbows that require whitening.
- Massage the treatment areas for 5 minutes in gentle circular motions.
- Finally, wash the past off with water.
- Repeat the process once a week until you get the desire results.
Glycerin is renowned for its rich moisturizing properties and in addition to helping get rid of cracked heels, it can also help to cure dark patches on elbows. Glycerin is available over the counter in most drugstores. As regards how to use it for lightening of dark elbows, simply apply generous amount of glycerin to your elbows at bedtime and leave it on overnight.
Yoghurt and Honey for Removal of Dark Elbows Naturally
The lactic acid in yoghurt makes it a great skin lightener and exfoliant. It also helps to cleanse and moisturize the skin naturally. Honey is also renowned for its amazing natural skin lightening and moisturizing action.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of plain yoghurt with 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Apply the mixture on your elbows.
- Wash the mixture off with warm water after20 minutes.
- Do this daily until your get the desired results. This may take a few weeks.
Many skin care experts recognize the mild bleaching action of cucumber when applied topically to the skin. In addition to lightening the dark elbows, it will also help to moisturize your skin and gently cleanse it to get rid of impurities.
- Chop a cucumber into thin slices
- Apply the slices over your elbows for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Now allow the cucumber juice and pulp on your skin time (5 minutes or so) to work in, then wash it off with water.
- Repeat the process daily until the condition gets fully cured.
This herbal remedy is popular among Indians but its healing properties are increasingly recognized around the world.
Applied topically to your elbows, it will not only help to lighten them and even out the skin tone but also leave the skin soft and radiantly glowing.
How to Get Rid Of Dark Elbows Naturally With Turmeric
- Mix ½ teaspoon of turmeric with 1 teaspoon of milk cream.
- Apply the mixture to your elbows and massage them gently for 3-5 minutes.
- Once the mixture dries, rinse your skin with lukewarm water.
- Repeat regularly for best results.
Many people will attest to the effectiveness of these home remedies for dark. Are they fast? Yes and no. Depending on your condition you may get healed in one week or have to continue using the remedy of your choice for a few weeks before getting the desired results. So, don’t expect overnight results. Just be patient.