At some point in life, hair may lose its shine and glow. This could be caused by the use of harsh products on the hair, overexposure to sunlight, nutritional deficiency, illness, a high mineral content in water as well as age. While there are many commercial products promising to boost your hair’s shine, the fact remains that most contain chemical ingredients. As such, it is best to adopt all natural products that will not cause further harm to your hair. Below are some home remedies for shiny hair.
Eggs Home Remedies for Shiny Hair
Eggs are a simple yet effective nourishment for hair. They are a source of fatty acids, proteins and lecithin. They act fast to repair dull and damaged hair helping to restore its moisture and shine. In addition, using eggs on your hair will help in thickening and strengthening your strands.
- Separate the egg yolk from the white.
- Mix an egg white with one tablespoon of honey and one tablespoon of olive oil until a consistent paste is achieved.
- Apply this remedy for shiny hair on damp hair as well as on the scalp.
- Use a shower cap to cover up your head for half an hour before using a mild shampoo and cool water to wash your hair.
- Get two eggs and beat them until foamy.
- Add to this half a cup of yogurt and two tablespoons of almond oil.
- Apply the resulting paste on hair and scalp.
- Use a shower cap to cover it up for 30 minutes.
- Use cool water to shampoo hair.
- Repeat procedure weekly to get soft and silky hair.
Caution: Do not be tempted to use hot water while using egg recipes as part of your home remedies for shiny hair as this will cause the eggs to cook and clot making it hard to get them off hair.
Vinegar Home Remedy for Shiny Hair
In case you are looking for home remedies for shiny hair without eggs, vinegar is your go to solution. Apple cider vinegar helps in getting rid of buildup on the scalp and hair as well. It will help in treating dandruff, frizzy hair and an itchy scalp all of which result in dull hair. It will condition your hair leaving it well moisturized, soft and shiny.
- Dilute apple cider vinegar with an equal amount of water.
- Shampoo your hair normally and pour the mixture on your hair. Massage it into the scalp.
- Allow it to sit for some time before rinsing it off with cold water.
- You could also use apple cider vinegar as a part of your final rinse. Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into a cup of water and add lemon juice to it. Use this as a final rinse.
- This remedy should be used once in a week for soft silky hair.
Mayonnaise Treatment for Shiny Hair
This is rich in antioxidants, proteins and amino acids that help in making hair strong, healthy, soft and shiny.
- Secure half a cup of full fat mayonnaise or as much as may be needed for the full length of your hair.
- Apply this on freshly washed damp hair.
- Cover hair with shower cap for at least 30 minutes.
- Use a mild shampoo to wash off the mayonnaise.
- Repeat procedure each week.
Onion Juice Natural Home Remedy for Shiny Hair
Onions are a great source of sulfur which is what gives them their characteristic smell. This component helps to promote production of collagen which in turn helps promote the growth of shiny and healthy hair naturally.
- Chop one onion and squeeze out juice from it.
- Apply this on your scalp and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Use a mild shampoo to wash off your hair.
Coconut Oil Home Remedy for Shiny Hair
Coconut oil for shiny hair helps in restoring moisture to hair. This saves it from dryness and damage. By using coconut oil in home remedies for shiny hair or as a stand-alone treatment, your hair remains nourished thus leaving it silky.
- Warm up some coconut oil and apply it on hair starting from the roots to the tips.
- Massage the oil in for a few minutes before covering it up with a shower cap.
- Wrap the shower cap up with a warm towel for 30 minutes.
- Rinse off hair with water before shampooing and conditioning normally.
- To two tablespoons of coconut oil, add a few curry leaves.
- Heat these until warm and let them to cool.
- Once in the temperatures your scalp can withstand, massage the oil into the hair and scalp.
- Cover up the treated hair with a shower cap and warm towel for half an hour.
- Wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat either of the coconut oil home remedies for shiny hair procedure twice weekly for the best results.
Gelatin for Long and Soft Shiny Hair
Gelatin has proteins that help in repairing damaged hair as well as promote its growth. In addition to giving your hair silky smoothness, it will give it an extra shine and leave it soft.
- In a cup of warm water, dissolve a tablespoon of gelatin.
- Add to the mixture a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a few drops of essential oil.
- Massage this mixture on your hair leaving it on for ten minutes.
- Rinse off with lukewarm water and use the home remedy for shiny hair once every week.
Beer Hair Tonic for Shiny Hair at Home
Beer contains an exceptional hair tonic that is rich in proteins. This helps in repairing dry hair. It also keeps it well moisturized. All these give health to the hair follicles, body and volume.
- Start by shampooing your hair.
- When the hair is still damp, spritz some beer on it using a spray bottle.
- To get rid of the smell of beer, blow dry it. This should leave you with smooth and shiny hair.
- Thoroughly wash hair.
- While still damp, apply a flat beer from the roots working up to the tips.
- Using circular motions, massage the beer into the scalp.
- Allow this home remedy for shiny hair to rest for 10 minutes before washing it off.
Avocado Natural Home Remedy to Get Shiny Hair
To add luster and shine to your hair, include avocado home remedies for shiny hair in your hair care regimen. The fruit contains important nutrients which help in deep conditioning, moisturizing and nourishment of the hair. It is perfect for dry and damaged hair and will restore the dullness with a glowing shine.
- Mash a ripe avocado and add two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to it.
- Apply this on damp hair starting from the roots to the tips.
- Cover the hair up for 30 minutes before washing off as usual.
- Mash one ripe banana with one avocado.
- Add a teaspoon of almond oil to this mixture.
- Massage the remedy for shiny hair on your scalp while at the same time spreading it on your hair.
- Cover up for at least 30 minutes before rinsing with lukewarm water and shampooing as usual.
- These avocado home remedies for shiny hair can be used twice every week for quick results.
How to get Shiny Hair at Home with Aloe Vera
In case you are looking for a home remedy for shiny hair that can as well combat frizz and dandruff, aloe vera will help you achieve it. It contains antioxidants, moisturizing agents as well as various components that serve to support healthy hair.
- Get some aloe leaves and scoop four tablespoons of fresh gel from it.
- Add to this three tablespoons of yogurt and two tablespoons of coconut oil.
- On damp hair, apply the resulting paste and allow it to sit for half an hour.
- Rinse off using warm water and repeat two times every week.
How to Make Hair Shiny and Silky with Yogurt
Yogurt works as a deep conditioner for hair. It makes it soft, smooth and shiny. It is great for the scalp as it contains antimicrobial agents which help keep your scalp clean and free from infections.
- Use a wide toothed comb to brush out your hair.
- Get some yogurt and spread it on hair.
- Cover it up for 30 minutes using a shower cap.
- Rinse it off with warm water before shampooing as usual.
- Do this on a weekly basis.
Hibiscus Leaf Extract to Make Hair Soft and Shiny Naturally
Although mostly known for its role in promoting hair growth, hibiscus leaf extract is yet another great home remedy for shiny hair.
- Pluck some hibiscus leaves and soak them in water for 10 minutes.
- Get the leaves out and extract the gel from them into a bowl.
- Apply this on dry hair and leave it on for half to one hour.
- Use a mild shampoo to wash hair.
Home Remedies for Shiny Hair Tips – Tips for Silky Hair at Home
While applying the above home remedies for shiny hair, it is important to know the dos and the don’ts of getting and keeping healthy silky hair. Below are some tips for silky hair at home.
- Always look at the label of your hair care products and ensure you settle for those with natural and organic ingredients. These are gentle on hair when compared to chemical ingredients.
- Keep heat treatments and styling to a minimal to prevent hair damage. Air dry your hair as much as you can.
- Adopt a regular routine in which you condition your hair to keep it nourished and moisturized.
- Always protect your hair from too much direct sunlight to avoid it drying up.
- Adopt a healthy diet for healthy shiny hair.
- Hot water tends to make hair look dull. Always use cold water as a final rinse.