Chapped lips mostly occur on the surface but could also be experienced at the corners of the lips. While there are many cosmetic products meant to deal with this condition, these come at a price and where the consumer is not keen on the ingredients, they may end up worsening the condition. Discussed herein are various home remedies for chapped lips corners in summer, winter, overnight, and natural cures.
Home Remedies for Chapped Lips
When suffering dry chapped lips, it could get painful. The chapping also gives you an unattractive look. Chapping will mostly be accompanied with redness, cracking, tenderness, flaking and soreness. Among the causes of chapped lips are allergic reactions, vitamin deficiency, smoking, dehydration, harsh weather such as during the summer and winter, over exposure to the sun and excessive licking. To get relief from these, you can make use of the home remedies for chapped lips discussed below. These will help you restore the suppleness of your lips without lip balm as well as soothe the pain.
Rose Water Natural Remedy for Chapped Lips
Rose water helps to act like a moisturizer while protecting the lips from cracking. This will leave you with refreshed lips free from chapping.
- Into a mixing bowl, mix one tablespoon of rose water with an equal amount of honey.
- Apply the resulting mixture on your lips and allow it to rest for 15 minutes.
- Wash off and pat dry.
- Repeat procedure each day until desired results are achieved.
Castor Oil for Chapped Lips
This is a great treatment for dry chapped lips. It can be used alone or mixed with other ingredients to make a soothing lip balm.
- Apply castor oil on your lips several times throughout the day.
- Mix castor oil with an equal amount of glycerin. Add a few drops of lemon juice and mix thoroughly.
- Apply this on your lips before going to bed.
- Dip a cotton ball in lukewarm water and use it to clean your lips in the morning.
Milk Cream to Heal Chapped Lips
Milk cream contains a high fat content giving it natural moisturizing properties. These help in healing the chapped lips.
- Get some cream and apply some generous amount on the lips.
- Leave this on for 10 minutes.
- Using a cotton ball that has been dipped in warm water, gently wash off the lips.
- Repeat procedure daily for fast healing.
Honey Home Remedy for Chapped Lips
Honey has antibacterial properties and is also a humectant. It helps attract moisture from the environment to itself thus keeping your lips well hydrated.
- Apply high quality pure organic honey on the lips throughout the door.
- Another way to make use of honey would be to make a paste of glycerin and honey using equal amounts of each. Apply this on your chapped lips before going to bed.
Cucumber Chapped Lip Pain Relief
Cucumbers are succulent and act as a great natural home remedy for chapped lips. Apart from moisturizing the lips, they will also help relief chapped lips pain.
- Slice a cucumber and rub the slices gently on the chapped lips. Ensure the lips get well covered by the cucumber juice.
- Allow this to sit for about 20 minutes before using water to wash it off.
- Repeat procedure for a number of times within the day.
Sugar for Chapped Lips Exfoliation in Summer
When the lips get chapped, there is an accumulation of dead skin cells. By eliminating these, it gives room for newer cells thus better looking lips. Use sugar to get rid of chapped lips in the summer. To restore the suppleness of the lips:
- Combine equal amounts of sugar and honey to make a consistent paste.
- Apply this on your lips and gently rub it on to loosen dead skin cells.
- Using a cotton ball dipped in lukewarm water, wash it off after 30 minutes.
Coconut and Olive Oils Overnight Natural Cures for Chapped Lips
These two are moisturizing and also have healing properties. They are especially effective for chapped lips treatment during extremely dry or cold weather. Apply the oil on your lips throughout the day for the best results. Other oils that can be used include Jojoba, rosehip and almond oil. Apply these before going to bed for healthy lips in the morning.
Green Tea Bag to Cure Chapped Lips Corners
Placing a wet green tea bag on your chapped lips will help keep it moisturized. T will also deliver its healing properties to the ailing skin thus restoring a healthy skin.
- Simply wet the green tea bag, squeeze out excess water and place it on your lips.
- Let it rest there for around five minutes.
- Repeat procedure each day to keep your lips moisturized.
Aloe Vera Home Treatment for Sore and Severely Chapped Lips
Aloe vera gel has healing qualities and will also keep your lips well hydrated thus stop the chapping. Its medicinal properties make it perfect for severely chapped lips. Apply some aloe vera gel on your lips each day to heal them as well as relieve pain associated with chapping.
Home Remedies for Chapped Lips Using Mango Butter or Oil
Mango butter as well as mango oil is rich in fatty acids. These make these two home remedies for chapped lips great emollients. They attract water to the lips once applied on them this way they keep moisture locked in thus prevent chapping.
- Get some mango butter or oil and apply it on the chapped lips.
- Leave it on until it dries.
- Wash off the lips and repeat until you get total relief from the dryness.
Home Remedies for Chapped Lips in Toddler – Soothe Chapped Lips in Toddlers
Toddlers are delicate and may not have control over ingesting what is applied on their lips. By using petroleum jelly to soothe their chapped lips, it helps to keep their lips hydrated and protect them from chapping.
Dub some petroleum jelly on the lips throughout the day to protect and treat them. To keep them well-nourished through the night, ensure you apply a generous amount of it before tucking them in.
You could also use petroleum jelly with honey. Start by applying a layer of honey on the lips and covering it up with petroleum jelly. This will give a long lasting effect.
Tips on Getting Rid of Chapped Lips Using Home Remedies
- Dehydration is one of the major causes of chapped lips. As such, it is important to drink enough water throughout the day. This will keep the body and skin well hydrated. Ensure you consume at least one glass of water before going to bed.
- In case you suffer from allergic reactions, learn what triggers them and stay away from the allergens. Watch the skin care and cosmetic products you use as well as ingredients in mouth wash and toothpastes.
- When venturing out, ensure you use a lip balm that contains sunscreen. This will protect you from the dry hot weather. Use chap sticks with an SPF of 15.
- During extremely cold weather in the winter, cover up your lips with a scarf to keep them protected.
- Avoid the temptation to peel off dry skin from the chapped lips. Instead soak a cotton ball in water and use it to wipe off the lips.
- Excessive licking of your lips can contribute to their chapping as when saliva is drying it leaves the lips drier than they initially were. Avoid too much licking.
- Always breathe through the nose as opposed to the mouth to avoid drying and chapping of the lips.
- Quit smoking as this could cause dry and cracked lips.
In case none of the above home remedies for chapped lips works and you continue to experience extremely chapped lips, it is important to see a dermatologist as they could be indicative of a more serious condition.